This blog post helps you in understanding how to unpublish published WordPress article or articles (more than one or any number) in very short time easily. And, what type of unpublishing is best for which scenario.
Unpublish published WordPress article
Occasionally, we end up in a scenario to unpublish a published article in following situations like
- Hitting publish by mistake (happened to me through mobile app)
- Posting wrong content due to mis-guided information.
- Posting duplicate content received as Guest post.
- Some article or articles become obselete
Steps to unpublish single article
The following are the steps involved in unpublishing an article through WordPress
- Login to your wordpress
- Navigate to the blog post which you wish to unpublish.
- On the right side of the wordpress blog post page, you see a menu called Publish.
- In the Publish Menu,
- You can see a Status section with Edit (with hyperlink) next to it.
- If you click on the Edit hyperlink (of the published post) then options come up with a dropdown with following options
- Pending Review
- Click on Draft or select ‘Draft’ option from Drop down and Click OK button.
- Then if you click on Update button in the left-down of the same ‘Publish’ menu, the published blog post gets unpublished (to draft status).
Steps to Unpublish articles [BULK]
- Login to your wordpress account
- Navigate to ‘All Posts’ Page under ‘Posts’
- Select the published blog posts which you wish to Unpublish
- After selecting through the checkboxes to the left of post titles
- On the top you can see ‘Bulk Actions’ drop down
- Click on that
- Select ‘Edit’ And click ‘Apply’ button
- Now, you can see the various options which you can edit in bulk at the same time.
- Choose ‘Status’ from that and change it to ‘Draft’
- All the published blog posts get unpublished with that action.
Move to trash
If you don’t want to edit the published post after unpublishing it then it is better to use Move to Trash option instead of changing its status to ‘Draft’.
- In the Blog post page
- On the right side Menu ‘Publish’
- On the right most bottom, you can see Move To Trash option.
- If you click on that then the blog post will be moved to Trash.
Bulk Move to Trash
For steps to Bulk Move to Trash –
- Go to ‘All Posts’ page under ‘Posts’
- Select all the blog posts which you wish to Move To Trash (Make use of filter to easily select)
- Similar to above Bulk update, here also you have to click on ‘Bulk Actions’ drop down after selecting blog posts.
- Then you have to select Move To Trash option and click ‘Apply’ button
Note: Before using Move To Trash option please make sure you have a back up of those blog posts because if you would need them in future then it would be really difficult for you to retrieve them back once they are moved to trash or deleted.
Problems with Unpublishing
- URL of Published Article will be Error – 404 not found.
- Users/Search engines might feel bad. – This can be avoided or ignored if you do it once in a while.
Above are some problems which might occur with unpublishing a published post, so be careful and prepared with above. This is not to frighten you, but to just caution you with the effects of unpublishing.
Unpublishing a post is lot better instead of causing wrong impression through false or irrelavant content through your blog post. So, no need to worry if you are unpublishing your post for a positive reason.
Prevention is better than cure – Please do take utmost care to avoid this scenario, but if this occurs then quickly update the post content and push the corrected version to the web in order to avoid issues with published version of the blog post.
And, don’t worry if you have done this mistake, it happens at times as we are human beings and not mere robots to make everything with 100% perfection. And, you readers would also understand you when it happens at times.
But, if this repeats regularly then you might end up losing the trust you have developed with your readers through a lot of hard work by constantly producing great content from your end. No blogger would want that to happen so do take some care before publishing an article, preview it, review it etc.
Thanks for reading. Share your views about Unpublish published WordPress article and the post content with me through comments, I would be very happy to hear.
If you have enjoyed reading this post, then share it with your buddies & do subscribe to my blog for more interesting stuff by using your email id below (trust me, we share fantastic stuff for Free 😉 ).Tags: blogging tips and tricks